Sunday, February 26, 2012

This Purim Step, Stomp & Walk Tall

Back in the 1960's Nancy Sinatra made it big on the music scene thanks to her hit These Boots Are Made For Walking and its popular refrain: One of these days these boots are going to walk all over you.

Did she have Haman in mind when she sang this song? Sure enough one of the Purim customs I recently found is to write the name of Haman on the sole of your shoes, and stamp your feet really hard every time Haman's name is called out during the Megillah reading until his name is erased. Unfortunately, this custom was not connected to a specific country but it did remind me of a French Purim custom that I posted in 2010 in which Haman's name was either printed or engraved on 2 stones knocked together during the Megillah reading.

Contact me if you have any other creative customs for obliterating Haman's name. I'll be happy to post them.

Purim Sameach. Happy Purim.


Photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment